Provides updated data characterizing vehicles replaced by rebated EVs purchased/leased during calendar year 2020.
During the onset of COVID-19, most rebated EVs replaced older, more polluting vehicles:
- Replacement rates continued increasing — up to 86% in 2020.
- PHEVs produced strong replacement rates early, BEVs gradually caught up
- 1/2 of replaced vehicles were 6+ years old
- > 1/4th were 12+ years old
- > 3/4ths of replaced vehicles were gasoline-fueled (incl. conventional hybrid)
- ~2/3rds were non-hybrid gasoline
- PHEVs replaced more gasoline vehicles overall (incl. hybrids) and PHEVs
- BEVs replaced more non-hybrid gasoline vehicles and BEVs